Monday, March 18, 2013

Basilica in Covington: Praise and Beauty

by Shannon


Praise and beauty are before Him: 
holiness and majesty in His sanctuary.
~Psalm 95:6

On Saturday, Ryan, Cruncher and I visited St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption in Covington, Kentucky. I don't think any of us knew what we were in for when we walked through those doors. It. Was. Just. Gorgeous — FULL STOP. I'll let my camera do the talking. Lots and lots of talking. Some short captions are mixed in, so watch for them.

The largest church stained-glass window in the world, outside and inside views.
The view from the front doors.
Baptistry.
The tintinnabulum and umbraculum for if a pope ever visits.
I like the window in the center, showing the Nativity, paired with the station below, Jesus Meets His Mother.
Center: Rose window and main organ.
Confessional.
Blessed Sacrament Chapel with Frank Duveneck murals.
St. John Vianney, pray for my godsons!
Two organs and two rose windows.
Altar and with largest church stained-glass window.
The view up was my favorite.
The stations are mosaic, from Venice, Italy.
And then my camera battery died. True story.



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love love LOVE mosaics - we visit the Shrine in DC a couple of times a year (it's only 20 minutes away) and it never gets old just looking at all the different styles. I wish more churches tried to emulate this beauty, at least a little - I know it's expensive, but for me it's SO much more prayerful to have something beautiful to look at during Mass. When my mind wanders, at least it's wandering while looking at and contemplating a religious image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite places to visit. I'm so glad it's close enough to see on a semi-regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cathedral is gorgeous! We'll have to visit it the next time we are driving through Northern KY.

    ReplyDelete