Monday, July 22, 2013

D.C. Quinque

by Shannon


I've been trying for a couple weeks to figure out how to make a slideshow in Blogger, and I. GIVE. UP. If you want to see pictures of the beautiful Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, go to the Facebook page. You might have noticed I posted all the pretties a few days ago.


I could go on and on and on on on about how beautiful/amazing/gorgeous/inspirational/etc. the basilica was, but you can look at the photos with your own eyes.


If you've not visited, you should. It was certainly the highlight of our trip.


We also ate at the cafeteria at the basilica (food was decent but expensive), and we picked up volumes 2 and 3 of The Baltimore Catechism for Cruncher. He's a mini theology-machine! Ryan's doing a really fantastic job with his formal catechesis.


If you remember way back when I first started posting a review of our D.C. trip, I mentioned we were excited to go and experience a St. Francis of Assisi pilgrimage ... BUUUUUT we didn't get to go. You can't tell much from the few outdoor photos we took, but there was a crazy storm system traveling over D.C. that day. We ended up cutting the day short and heading out of D.C. to our third and final hotel. Unfortunately, the storm system never came to a head, so we could have stayed. But I have to admit I was really happy to start making the trek home.

Traveling back to hotel #2 so we could hop in the car and get to hotel #3.
Driving through Sideling Hill for the second time. We conveniently saw a
display on it at the Natural History Museum. 
The beacon of light at our final overnight stop, Morgantown, West Virginia.
What a sad, sad town. 
Cruncher's best souvenir from D.C. — first-time freckles. 
The restaurant/brewery where we ate in Morgantown, one of the few good things offered. Food was great, beer was good, service was fantastic.  
I may not enjoy the taste of beer (typically), but there's something about
photographing beer that I enjoy. Weird?
A study in an expert at work.

I'm gonna hop on Jen Fulwiler's bandwagon and hang on tight for the Seven Posts in Seven Days challenge. I have sooooo many things we've done this summer that still need to put put on the blog, and summer's almost over! Tomorrow, I'll post the last day of our D.C. trip (if you follow on the Facebook page, you've seen pictures from that day). And maybe we'll even hear from our resident adventure writer and birthday boy this week.



2 comments:

  1. Oh I love the Basilica.
    The crypt is my favorite part, and the only place I have ever seen an icon of Sts. Perpetua and Felicity, after whom my first two daughters are named.
    There was a statue in their gift shop of the Flight to Egypt that I loved so much, I still think of it and wish I had bought it! I've never seen another.
    Sounds like such a lovely trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drive through Sideling Hill every time I visit my brother. It's cool every time. :)

    Also...morgantown. yeah. Known for the university where students light couches on fire (true story). Not a shining star of a place, but the brewpub looks decent!

    ReplyDelete