Sunday, January 6, 2013

What I Wore Sunday

by Shannon


Shameful plug: I actually blogged for real this week! I finally got the gumption (word of the day) to do a non-link-up post, and I think it went pretty well. Also, we updated the blog layout to one of those fancy-schmancy Dynamic View Templates. I need to throw in some customizing, but it already looks better. Lastly, stay tuned later in the week: Ryan is reading a book on fatherhood and has been inspired to blog on virtues. He's a much stronger writer than I am, so swing back in!



"Where is he that is born king of the Jews? For we have seen his star in the east, and are come to adore him."
– Matthew 2:2

"Work it, Boo!" "For serious?"

You can see the Magi made it to the Nativity there over my shoulder. Happy Epiphany to you! Snippet from Father's homily this morning: Recognize gifts from God, and never cease being grateful. Inspired by the Magi, place all that you have at the Savior's feet, giving him thanks.

Have you ever owned a piece of clothing that is so perfectly you that you never seem to wear it? Every time you see it in your closet, you think, "Oh, I'll save that for better day." That would be my chambray shirtdress. I have wanted a chambray shirtdress since I started picking out my own clothes (Hellooooo,  11-year-old Shannon in a floral crepe skirt with work boots!), and I finally bought one this fall. I think I've worn it five times in as many months. This is the first I've worn it since winter hit, and I'm going to wear it to work tomorrow. (I tend to wear Sunday's Mass outfit to work on Monday. Does anyone else do that?) I really should wear it more often. It's a perfect fit, modest and comfortable, yet lovely and sweet. Plus, it has pockets! I have three trends I've consistenly ridden for the last 15 years: menswear, granny chic and boho. Today's look features both menswear and granny chic:


Deets:
Headband: Afterthoughts?
Earrings: From my MIL. They were Ryan's grandmother's. When Ryan says, "My grandma woulda worn that," I take it as a compliment.
Necklace: Consignment shop in town
Fantastic chambray shirtdress: Old Navy
Cardi: Eddie Bauer
Belt: Same consignment shop
Tights: Target
Boots: Same beat pair I always wear. Time to start scouting the boot sales!

Did you see our new friend up there? Here he is without all of his Christmas garb on:


Meet Hubert!  Check out John Zmirak's telling of St. Hubert in the Jägermeister chapter from The Bad Catholic's Guide to Wine, Wiskey & Song, pp. 114-116. John. Is. Hil. Arious. Hubert here came into our lives via my father, a hunter. Isn't he a beaut? My mother wasn't having it, so Ryan and I yelled out, "Ooo-oo-ooo! Us, us, us!" And he will be decorated for each season (liturgical and nature). I'm dying to put flowers on his antlers.


I'll end with the one in which I have awesome ribbon antler pigtails:



Check out the other fashionable females (and sometimes males) at Fine Linen and Purple, Watch Out for the Woestmans and Lily Among Thorns!




27 comments:

  1. I love the outfit and your cute accessories, especially the be-ribboned antlers! I'm totally in the market for a sweet chambray dress just like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! Hubert has made himself right at home, and we're happy to have him.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I do have clothes like that. Maybe the key is to slowly build a wardrobe where all you wear is favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a novel idea, Jess. I actually have plans to run through my closet this week and pull out anything I've not worn in a year. Yes, there are things in there I've not worn in A YEAR.

      Delete
  3. Oh.my.goodness. that is the perfect dress!!! You completely pulled of menswear meets granny chic with that great jewelry! SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deme! Maybe wearing it again tomorrow will get me in the habit of not overlooking it the rest of the season.

      Delete
  4. Hahaha.... oh my goodness, your comment on my blog made me giggle. I am not a type A personality but my husband definitely has those tendencies so I can appreciate the "attention to details". He says that he is CDO... which is OCD in alphabetical order. Haha. Anywho, I couldn't figure out for the life of me with how to post a comment on your new blog layout earlier so I am glad others figured it out so I may follow. Haha. Your jewelry is very shabby chic/vintage. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay : ) Yeah, the new design isn't as user-friendly, even for me, but we needed something new. It'll probably be different again next week, kinda like how I can't stop decorating my house.

      Delete
  5. The captions under your pics had me giggling. Very pretty outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trista! The hubs has called me Boo for the last 10 years.

      Delete
  6. You are adorable! I love your hair so much, if I could pull it off I would chop my hair off tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brooke! You're too sweet. Nine days out of 10, I have no plans to grow it back out.

      Delete
  7. I love menswear. I love boho. I sometimes get a wild, gray, granny hair. Are we style sisters?? Love Hubert- he looks like a perfect gentleman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just might be Kinsi. Although, I've noticed your Altheta streak as of late, and I can't say I've ever shopped there. I'm on the GAP/Old Navy/Piperlime site enough, but I don't think I've ever clicked on the Athleta tab. I might have to try that out.

      Delete
  8. You're hilarious - I love that comment about the earrings! :) I love the look of that sweater with the chambray dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caitlin! It's the first time I've layered over the dress, and it just felt right.

      Delete
  9. Shannon, I love your vintage style! Your outfit is so cute with your hair and your glasses.

    You know what else? For reasons I can't explain, I have really been coveting (bad, I know) some sort of taxidermy-related wall decoration lately. Related as in not the whole nine, live animal with fur camp, but something like antlers or bones, like yours. I think it can be just so dramatic and classic! Love it, and Hubert looks perfectly festive =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to get a hunter friend. Usually, their wives are over taxidermy after the first head goes up.

      Delete
  10. That is such a great dress! I love the belt w/ it, and your jewelry is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding a belt to this dress really helps emphasize the fullness of the skirt. I'd wear a crinoline under it if I could get away with it.

      Delete
  11. I'll just echo what every one else has said: love the dress and jewelry and looooove the antlers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! The antlers really punctuate the look, yes?

      Delete
  12. I love anything chambray, and that dress looks so cute with the belt and cardi!

    ReplyDelete