Sunday, December 30, 2012

What I Wore Sunday

by Shannon


"So may the peace of Christ, the very condition of your calling as members of a single body, reign in your hearts. Learn, too, to be grateful."
– Colossians 3:15

Merry Christmas and happy Feast of the Holy Family! Unfortunately, I attended Mass alone this morning. Since Boxing Day, the three of us have been rotating a 24-hour stomach bug, and yesterday was Cruncher's turn. We decided Ryan would stay home with the little guy while I went to Mass this morning. I love going to Mass alone but would have preferred it be under different circumstances. Father had a lovely message today, and here's a snippet: The family is so important that God saw fit to entrust one with His only Son. Pray to recognize the important role parents have in their children's lives, and don't sell yourself short. 

Today, I dressed comfortably. I was rushed this morning, following an exhausting night holding a bucket under a sick boy's chin. BTW, his appetite is back today, so maybe we'll all be healthy again for a few weeks.


Deets:
Earrings: Target
Sweater: Old Navy
Jacket: Meijer
Watch: Fossil
Skirt: LOFT
Tights: TJ Maxx?
Boots: Sears


I rolled up the sweater's sleeves under the jacket. It looked sloppy with them sticking out. The jacket was a great clearance find on Christmas Eve. It's actually part of a two-piece set, which I will never wear at the same time. I would feel too much like my mother (no offense, Mama!). The skirt is ankle-length, of the same pattern, and I wore it to Midnight Mass with a belted purple sweater and the same boots. P.S. Time to get my ears lowered. Looking poofy.


Mmm ... sweater tights. And super-old boots I bought to wear with my interview suit eons ago.


Two unusual things about this outfit for me: No necklace, and no vintage items. If it weren't for this pleather-lined, gold zipper, I wouldn't have bought this jacket. I liked the contrast between the soft, watercolor fabric and the edgy zipper. Brooches and necklaces would compete too much with the fabric and zipper, so I just stuck with earrings and my usual watch.


Bee or beetle? I think the stripes throw off people, but there's no stinger. They more remind me of the gold scarab beetle that opens the Cave of Wonders in Aladdin (yeah, I had to Google that). Which then makes me think of the scarabs in The Mummy. *Shivers.* Glad I don't have to look at them when they're on my ears. Nightmares. Anyway, I thought bug earrings would look cute with the flowered jacket. 

No lecture this week. Class is adjourned. Oh, and your homework: Visit the other ladies over at Fine Linen and Purple for more femininity and fashion. And a few dudes too. 



21 comments:

  1. I really like the yellow under the jacket. I was surprised to see yellow actually in the print in the close-up. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What color ISN'T in that jacket, amiright? I love when I don't have to try to match.

      Delete
  2. Bug earrings totally cute with that awesome flowered jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweater tights .. love! Sorry to hear about the stomach bug. No fun and I hear ya about Mass. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I've mostly come to terms with my inability to fully concentrate on Mass and help Cruncher get in on some graces, it's soooo nice to be alone sometimes.

      Delete
  4. You are so cute! I'm especially loving your glasses :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colleen. I prefer statement glasses. Thin frames just don't work on my face.

      Delete
  5. Ooooh, pretty pretty jacket! And of course, the playfulness of the bug earrings is too good :-) Nice tights, too. Oh golly- you know, the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that mustard color! I hope everyone gets well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jiza! We all seem good and well today, just in time for parties and Mass tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. Every time I went to Target this summer, I saw those adorable bee (my vote is for bee) earrings, but kept convincing myself I didn't need to spend the money. Now you're giving me non-buyer's remorse! So cute, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally, I only buy Target jewelry on clearance, but I couldn't get these earrings out my head! I treated myself. Shh.

      Delete
  8. We had the same idea with the jean skirt! I really like the jacket.
    Oh and to answer your question about estate sales - luck is hit or miss. I think I've just learned over what to look for (thanks to my mom.)
    Hope your clan gets better and have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CJ! I love antique malls. I don't know why I've never gone to an estate sale.

      Delete
  9. Love the sweater tights! And your earrings are super cute too. Thanks for the prayers, and I'll pray that your family feels better soon too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kiera! Everyone is feeling pretty good today.

      Delete
  10. Your entire outfit makes me smile. I hope your bucket had a sticker in the bottom for your son to aim at (Flylady trick). Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sticker, but he had surprisingly good anticipation and aim. I was a proud (and sad) mama. Hate to see him sick, but I sure was glad he didn't make a mess!

      Delete
  11. go, dp, and m - thanks. we enjoy doing these sort of posts Tobacco Shop.

    luckyfatluke - making bplaa raa in the UK! Now that I would like to hear more about!

    Nate - that my favorite too. It was actually a little cool that day, with the occasional spot of rain . the wood smoke smelled great.

    Mila - can imagine putting that stuff on a dessert, it already so rich on its own. But I know what you talking about -- it didn occur to me that this sludge was the substance crowning many PHI kakanin Newport Cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete